Welcome to Synchronaut
Synchronaut is a personal brain training program based on a well-known method called brainwave entrainment. It operates in two modes, "binaural", and "isochronic". Both methods create rhythmic sounds at precise frequencies, which brain activity begins to mimic.
Brainwave entrainment is an effective technique for improving concentration, awareness, and general well being that has been known for hundreds of years. Synchronaut is simply the best entrainment program available for iPhone. Here's why.
- It's a real time synthesizer, not a glorified MP3 player. You can move sliders around and change the characteristic frequencies of the tones in real time, based on how you are specifically feeling in a given entrainment session. If your session is going well, you can lower the tones a bit. If you are having difficulty, you can raise them a bit.
- Binaural and isochronic in one app. Flip between binaural and isochronic tone at the press of a button, without stopping playback. Many users find that isochronic works in upper ranges, but binaural is more effective down in the delta range, from .25-4hz.
No other app does both.
- Presets. Bookmark your favorite frequencies and access them easily in the future.
- Programming. Even better than presets is programming. Synchronaut lets you connect lists of waypoints together to build your own custom entrainment programs. These programs allow you to vary the carrier frequency, the entrainment frequency, the type of sound, and the volume. You can chose the way that you transition from one waypoint to the next: either by stepping down in fixed time intervals, or by smoothly ramping down.
For example, one of the built in presets, called "Meditation", starts with isochronic tones pulsing at 14.5hz. It steps down every five minutes until it reaches 6hz, and then it switches to binaural beats, which work better in that range. The binaural beats then keep stepping down to 2.5hz, and then hold steady there for 30 minutes. This kind of sophisticated programming is not available from any other iPhone app, and is hardly available anywhere, outside of specialized machines that cost $250-500.
- Huge frequency ranges. Entrainment frequencies as low as .1hz can be useful for entrainment, particularly for helping you to sleep, but other apps inexplicably only go down to 4hz. Synchronaut can emit carrier frequencies from 25hz to 9999hz, and allows you to adjust the delta frequency .01hz to 999.99hz, in 0.01hz increments.
- Oscilloscope. See the waveforms that are being generated in real time.
- Native iOS lockscreen controls. You can play, pause, and skip around from the lockscreen just like you would play a song in iTunes. This also means that it works with third party devices that you can plug an iPod into.